Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Almond Chicken and Braised Kale

This chicken and kale were so delicious.  Definitely my new favorite way to eat kale and I can't wait to make this chicken again.  Both were just a variation of food we eat often, but so worth it to keep dinner interesting.  I made this meal for my family before heading to the gym (I'm so nice, right? lol) and then came home to eat it within a matter of minutes.  Yeah, it was that good.  There were leftover toasted almonds in the pan from the chicken, so I put those on top of the kale to make it even better.  Yum!




Almond Chicken
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. dry white wine
sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil
1 c. sliced almonds, chopped
Season chicken with salt and pepper and place on plate.  Drizzle with lemon juice and wine.  Coat chicken with chopped almonds.  Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil.  When hot, add chicken and saute until browned on both sides and cooked through.  Enjoy!
(Glutenfreeda)


Braised Kale
2 T. olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
pinch dried red chile flakes
red russian kale, stems removed, leaves roughly torn
1 1/4 c. chicken broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
freshly ground pepper, to taste
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add onion, red chile flakes; saute until onion is soft - about 5 minutes.  Add kale, toss to coat leaves with oil.  Add chicken broth and bring to boil.  Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until leaves are tender - about 10 minutes.  Stir in minced garlic, raise heat to high and boil uncovered until pan is dry.  Sprinkle with pepper to taste.  Serve.
(got idea for this recipe from finecooking.com)

5 comments:

  1. That's a great twist on a normal meal. I usually use almond flour but I will have to try it with chopped almonds soon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flavor of this recipe was great, but I hope you can help with one problem! I couldn't get the almonds to stay coated on the chicken AT ALL! Now, I did substitute chicken broth for the dry white wine. Not sure if that was a problem, but it was very frustrating! I'm loving your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mianna
    So, I haven't had issues with the almonds sticking to the chicken. Maybe chop your almonds a little more? I can't imagine the chicken broth substitute making that big of a difference. Next time I make it, I will try with chicken broth and see if I get the same results and let you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marlena, this was awesome! My boyfriend and I are just venturing in to the world of Paleo eating, and I'm looking for new recipes to replace some old, non-paleo favorites. This one definitely makes the list! I did use egg as a binder after reading that there could be trouble with the almonds. It worked like a dream.

    I can't wait to check out what else you have on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sliced 1/2 the almonds and used my hand held chopper for the other half (mostly to save time!) and the "dust" from chopping stuck to the chicken great leaving the roasted sliced almonds to spread over the kale! It was great! It works great without adding any salt other than what comes in the reduced salt chicken broth! thanks.

    ReplyDelete