Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lasagna

Since starting this blog I have friends recommend recipes I should try and I love it!  My super strong friend Emily from the gym recommended I try this recipe from Everyday Paleo and it is amazing!  I changed the recipe up a bit and would do the same next time I make it (and there will definitely be a next time!).  


Lasagna
2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef
1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1" chunks
1 red onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. bacon fat
2 T. dried oregano
2 T. dried basil
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. sea salt
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 12 oz. can tomato paste
5 zucchinis, thinly sliced (I used the slicing blade on my food processor)


In large pot warm bacon fat over medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes. Add sausage and beef to pot and brown.  Season meat mixture with dry ingredients, tomatoes and tomato paste.  Stir well.  In 9x13 baking pan, put layer of sliced zucchini, then cover with thick layer of meat mixture, then another layer of zucchini, then rest of meat mixture.  Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350º for 30 minutes.  Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.






When it was time to eat I wasn't that hungry so I just served myself a small portion.  I was up and out of my seat before my husband and girls were even finished eating serving myself a larger second portion.  Then when everyone was done I realized I wasn't, and served myself an even larger third portion!  My husband mentioned that it must be good if I wanted more than one helping.  Simple, yet satisfying.  

1 comment:

  1. There will definitely be a first time serving this soon. And then a next time, and next I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete