Monday, February 15, 2010

Pistachio Chicken with Leeks


This chicken dish has become a favorite for us (recipe comes from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook).  I can prepare the ingredients and chicken earlier in the day (like nap time) and then simply put it together and bake for dinner.  Makes dinner a lot less stressful and very tasty!  :)  
I have been trying so many new vegetables lately!  We get a small box, weekly, of fruit and veggies from Door to Door Organics.  This has helped expand the variety of veggies I use for meals (I know there is no way I would have tried half of these new vegetables).   We got leeks and I had the thought had never even crossed my mind to try them and I really liked them.  :)

Pistachio Chicken 
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 T. almond flour
1/4 c. arrowroot powder
1 t. sea salt
2 large eggs
1 T. grapeseed oil
1 T. olive oil
1/4 c. dijon mustard
2 1/4 c. pistachios, toasted and finely chopped

-Preheat oven to 425º.  Grease baking sheet with grapeseed oil.
-Rinse chicken, pat dry, and slice into 1/2" wide strips.
-In medium bowl, combine almond flour, arrowroot powder, and salt.  In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, grapeseed oil, olive oil, and mustard.  Place pistachios in another bowl.
-Coat chicken strips first in flour mixture, then in egg mixture, and finally in pistachios.  Place on prepared baking sheet.
-Bake for 10 minutes, or until pistachios are golden brown and chicken is cooked through.  Serve.


Roasted Carrots and Leeks
4 carrots
2 leeks
olive oil
1/2 T. dried tarragon
salt and pepper, to taste

-Preheat oven to 375º.
-Wash and peel carrots.  Cut into 1/2" chunks.  Trim leeks.  Split leeks in middle lengthwise and wash thoroughly to remove sand and dirt (I had to watch a YouTube video to know how to do this correctly).  Chop leeks about same size as carrots.
-Pour olive oil to cover bottom of skillet.  Heat oil and add carrots.  Pan roast carrots until they brown a little.  Add tarragon, salt and pepper.  Transfer to a baking sheet and place in oven for about 15 minutes.
-Use same skillet to saute leeks (add a little more oil if needed).  Saute leeks until begin to wilt and caramelize.  Take carrots out after 15 minutes and add leeks to baking sheet.  Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables can easily be pierced with a fork.
-Serve.


2 comments:

  1. I have to ask...
    Do you have two ovens? I'd love to make this for dinner but with both being cooked in the oven and at different temps how do you make it so both are served warm? Cook chicken then veggies then reheat chicken or vise versa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have 2 ovens (but I would like 2!). If I remember right, I did the chicken first.

    ReplyDelete