Monday, February 1, 2010

Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken with Steamed Kale


I spend LOTS of time in the kitchen.  It takes some effort to eat well.  But sometimes I need quick, easy recipes as I do have 2 little girls that need lots of attention.  :)  So, I have been going back to some of my 3-4-5 ingredient cookbooks for some tasty Paleo meals.  And I need to thank Laura and Greg for their idea of  steamed kale with dried cranberries and pine nuts.  

Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken
(Favorite Brand Name 4 Ingredient Cookbook)
2 chicken breasts, rinse, pat dry, cut into 8 strips
1/2 t. paprika
8 slices bacon
1/2 c. barbecue sauce*

-Preheat broiler.  Line broiler pan with foil and set aside.
-Sprinkle chicken strips with paprika.  Wrap each chicken strip with bacon in a spiral around the chicken and place on broiler pan.
-Broil chicken 4 minutes; turn over and broil 2 minutes.  Remove from oven and brush with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce.  Broil 2 minutes.  Remove from oven, turn over chicken strips and baste with remaining BBQ sauce.  Broil 2 minutes.  Serve warm.  (Add some extra sauce on top if desired - we did)

*Now, for the BBQ sauce...  We do our best not to have sugar (except from fruit), so I had to search for a good BBQ sauce that is sugar free and I found one I like.  It is from Sprouts and there is a picture below.  

Steamed Kale
Rinse kale.  Cut ribs off of kale.  Cut kale into bite-size pieces.  Fill pot with water and put kale into steamer basket over pot.  Cover and bring to boil.  Steam kale about 5 minutes (or until tender).  Then you can season however you choose.  I couldn't decide, so I did it 2 ways.  :)  
1.  Drizzle with olive oil and add dried cranberries and pine nuts.
2. Drizzle with Tamari Sauce and Sesame Oil and add sesame seeds.


                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment