Friday, January 22, 2010

Whoopie Pies



Yep, that's my little one licking the beater. I am not the only one adjusting to a new "diet." My girls have had to try lots of new things, too. They don't seem to mind testing out my desserts, though. :) These "Whoopie Pies" (which I call "Oatmeal Creme Pies") were a hit in this house. I don't make baked goods often, but I don't feel guilty when I do. I would rather feed my family a "healthy" dessert, than a packaged, processed one with ingredients I can't pronounce. :)

Whoopie Pies
2 cups of blanched almond flour - subbed 1 c hazelnut flour, for 1 c each of almond and hazelnut
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ginger (dried)
1/2 teaspoon of allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of cloves
1 cup of honey (or other sweetener)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
-Blend all the dry ingredients together, and then add all the wet ingredients and blend well.
-On baking sheets covered with parchment paper, place heaping tablespoon about 2 inches apart in circles, across the sheet.
-Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. The smaller and thinner the cookie, the less time this will take.
-Cool completely – at least 15 minutes – before sliding them off the mat with a spatula.
-Take one pie and spread frosting on it. Place another pie on top of the frosting. Serve.

Coconut Frosting
8 tablespoons of shortening (I used coconut oil)
4 tablespoons of honey (adjust sweetness to your liking)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
-Blend all the ingredients together with a whisk.
-Spread, serve, and store sealed at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment